This was my second safari on the African continent. Doing a safari in the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater as a solo female traveller was much easier than I initially thought. I was not worried in the planning stages because I had done a safari to the Kruger National Park solo before. I joined in on a group safari both times because safety is important and it made it more affordable too.
Some Tips to Prepare for a Safari
1. Have a realistic budget. Email or call some safari companies and get their rates.
2. Read reviews on the different companies and cross check these.
3. Get a local sim card in Tanzania that allows for using the internet and calling. You can check in with folks back home and everyone will be happy. It also is a good way to not be bored by yourself in your tent at night.
4. Be cautious and not go off in the wild with a seemingly nice person you meet in camp.
5. Relax and enjoy the beauty all around. Your guide has more to lose from harming you since this is his livelihood.
6. Keep your wits about you be captivated by the majestic animals in the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater.
Going on a budget safari as a solo traveller is not impossible because that’s what group safaris are made for. Solo female travellers don’t cause fear to prevent you from this great experience…my two cents worth haha.Go for it and check out doing a safari in the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Crater. You won’t regret it.
I know I will do this safari again. It was a big dream come true. I saw so many lions on the different days and leopards on two occasions. It was pretty much perfect.